Ultrasound is a widely used scan that produces pictures of the inside of your body to help diagnose and treat medical conditions. It does not use radiation compared to other types of scans such as X-rays and thus is considered non-invasive and safe.
Waiting for a scan through the NHS system can often take time and effort with doctor appointments. It can be more efficient to book a scan privately.
You do not need a referral to have a private ultrasound scan with one of our experienced healthcare professionals.
Ultrasound can be used for screening, diagnosis or to help with treatment.
Ultrasound scans can be used to
• Examine various organs
• Examine tendons and ligaments
• Examine lumps to see if they need further testing
• Monitor blood flow
At Harmonic Medical Sonography we perform a wide range of tests utilising modern ultrasound technology to give us an accurate method of diagnosing conditions such as:
- Identify grade I, II and III Ankle sprains in ATFL and CFL.
- Knee injuries such as ACL, MCL, LCL tears, sprains and ruptures.
- Hand injuries such as Game Keeper’s Thumb or Skier’s Thumb.
- Overuse of muscle conditions such as Tennis Elbow.
- Identify tendonitis where your tendon is inflamed or swollen after injury or repetitive use.
- Shoulder tears and dislocations, particularly in the rotator cuff.
Our sonographers have extensive experience in musculoskeletal (MSK) scans, which most sports injuries require to assess these conditions.
Conditions relating to your organs:
• Cysts and gallstones.
• Abnormal enlargement of the spleen.
• Abnormal growths such as cancer in the liver or pancreas.
• Fatty liver disease.
• Thyroid growths or cancer.
• Recurrent or complicated urinary tract infections (UTIs).
Female Reproductive System
Women suffering from pelvic pain or abnormal periods, fibroids, cysts or other conditions associated with the female reproductive system can choose to have an ultrasound with us to diagnose the problem.
We have a variety of gynaecological scans that provide images of the uterus, endometrium, ovaries and adjacent tissues.
Identify issues relating to breast enlargement or implants. If you are having pain or discomfort after breast augmentation you may want to book in a scan to rule out any leakages or ruptures.
As your comfort is our priority we are able to allocate a female or male sonographer based on your preference.
Male Reproductive System
Prostate cancer is the most common cancer amongst men in the UK and risk increases with age. We can perform ultrasound scans to reveal tumors, calcifications and enlargement of the prostate.
We can also carry out testicular sonogram or scrotal ultrasound to:
- Detect whether a mass in the scrotum is benign or cancerous as well as the location.
- Impact of any trauma to the scrotum and surroundings.
- Evaluate causes of male infertility.
- Diagnose causes of testicular pain or swelling such as inflammation or torsion.
- Locate an absent or undescended testicle.
Identify and assess Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT):
Deep vein thrombosis (DVT) is a serious condition that occurs when a blood clot forms deep inside your body in a vein. DVT typically occurs in your lower leg or thigh, but may occur in other parts of the body.
Some people who have DVT may show no signs or symptoms but others may notice:
• Swelling and or cramping pain in the affected area, typically one side of the leg.
• Skin and surrounding area feels warm.
• Skin on affected area appears red, blue or pale in colour.
As DVT can have severe complications if the blood clot travels to your lungs (pulmonary embolism) it is recommended you follow NHS guidance if you suspect you have DVT.
At Harmonic Medical Sonography we perform a special ultrasound technique (Doppler) that evaluates the speed and volume of blood as it flows through a blood vessel. These real time scans help to assess lower and upper limb DVT by identifying narrow blood vessels and blockages. No special preparation is required for these types of scan.